Root Canal, or endodontics, is the process of removing the nerve and blood supply from the roots of a tooth. A root canal is often necessary to save an infected tooth. If an infected tooth is left alone for a long period of time, an abscess can form. An abscess will show up on an x-ray as a dark spot below the apex of the root. This is actually bone loss in the jaw. It is very important to catch this problem before it progresses too far.
Why do I need a root canal?
There are a number of reasons why one of your teeth may need a root canal. These include, but are not limited to, a very deep cavity that extends into the nerve, trauma to the tooth that exposes the nerve or a crack in the tooth that extends into the nerve.
- Moderate to severe lingering tooth pain when drinking hot or cold liquids.
- Moderate to severe pain when chewing.
- Sensitivity to tapping or pressure on the tooth.
- Toothache that wakes you up in the middle of the night.
- A pimple on your gum that may release pus or blood.
- Radiating pain from one area of the mouth to another.
Trenton H. Buchanan, D.M.D.
140 Village Street
Birmingham, AL 35242
Experience exceptional dental care with amazing results at Greystone Smile Design, Birmingham, Alabama family and cosmetic dentist Dr. Trent Buchanan.
Greystone Smile Design • 140 Village Street • Suite 203 • Birmingham, AL 35242
Call (205) 981-7775
- About Us
- Dr. Trent Buchanan
- Office Location
- Cosmetic Dentistry
- Family Dentistry
- Pediatric Dentistry
- Our Technology
- Smile Gallery
- Plastic Surgery
- New Patients
- Site Map
- Contact Us
Copyright © 2018 All Rights Reserved Privacy Notice